[OT] Re: Worst Admin Mistake? was --> Re: /usr broken, will the machine reboot ?

On 14/09/11 08:15, Bryan Irvine wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>> jacques wrote:
>>> by error most of the binaries in /usr are erased (killing rm :-(

<snipped>

> Which brings me to another fun question.  What's your worst
> administration mistake and how did you recover?
>
> -Bryan

On a web server with a 3GB /dev/sda:-
dd if=/dev/sda | gzip | nc my_workbox 3333

At my workbox with a 1TB /dev/sda:-
nc -l 3333 | dd of=/dev/sda *instead* of:-
nc -l 3333 | dd of=bak_sda.img.gzip

first hint of idiocy was when I did a df -h to see how the transfer was
going, and got a screenful of gibberish... :-(
Not fun - cost me several hours to recover.

On the plus side I learnt a lot about testdisk, fsck, and ext4 journals :-)

Cheers

--
"I ascribe to Mark Twain's theory that the last person who should be
President is the one who wants it the most. The one who should be picked