Re: Worst Admin Mistake? was --> Re: /usr broken, will the machine reboot ?

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:32:38PM +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:15:13 -0700, Bryan Irvine wrote:
>
> > Which brings me to another fun question.  What's your worst
> > administration mistake and how did you recover?
>
> The worst admin mistake is failure to secure proper backups. Full stop.

Early one morning I was experimenting on one of my company's Linux
servers.  In the home directory of a test user, I issued:

rm -rf *

I did it on purpose.  But it took a long time to remove what should have
only been a handful of files.  I hit Ctrl-C and then 'ls'.  I realized
that I had a shared company network drive mounted as
/home/testuser/company, and it was deleting everything on that drive!

11 GB of data was deleted from that drive.  Thanks to BackupPC, I had
everything restored in 15 minutes.  Nothing was lost, and only one
person even noticed what happened.

-Rob