Re: Bind does not die

Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> jarif@spitfire:~$ sudo rndc stop
> WARNING: key file (/etc/bind/rndc.key) exists, but using default
> configuration file (/etc/bind/rndc.conf)

That should not produce that warning.  A default installation does not
have the file /etc/bind/rndc.conf present.  Do you have it?  Where did
it come from?  Try moving it out of the way.

> And, it stopped immediately! This is strange, why does it not stop when
> rebooting...

I expected that it would fail and not stop the named.  The
/etc/init.d/bind9 script calls rndc stop and then waits, possibly
forever, waiting for it to die.  I was expecting the above not to stop
the named but to produce errors that would identify the problem.

I think you should examine and clean your /etc/bind/ directory as
appropriate.  From the warning above you have a /etc/bind/rndc.conf
that may be causing problems.

Bob