Re: a quick Q: how to back to the head in terminal

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 03:27:26PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:06:16 +0100, Tom Furie wrote:

> "gnome-terminal" and "echo $SHELL" returns "/bin/bash". It also works in
> tty1. And just tested on xterm and works fine.
>
> Use case: dmesg|less

Ah, then that's less you're in rather than the shell. In less you can
use space and b for page forward and page back, no need for CTRL-
sequences.

> > CTRL-V allows you to enter a literal control character for display, i.e.
> > CTRL-V CTRL-M will put ^M on the screen. It's actually , but I don't
> > know how well that'll come across in email.
>
> How are you testing all that?

Simply typing at the shell prompt.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Life is a process, not a principle, a mystery to be lived, not a problem to
be solved.