Re: keyboard question..

On 09/11/2011 06:14 AM, lina wrote:

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:06:27 +0800, lina wrote:

>> > How did you input the little 1 in plain email text?
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> In GNOME you get it by pressing "shift" then "caret" then "1"
>>

> I just tested on the iceweasle google email,
>
> shift+^+1 is something like ^!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I might understand wrong in some parts.

You have to press them not at the same time but sequentially and a bit
quick.

I tried many times for this method, no magic.

Anyway, it can be get also with the method I told you a few days ago. Do
you remember the table of the unicode characters?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C1_Controls_and_Latin-1_Supplement

Based on that, "superscript one" is done with:

crtl-shift-u [release] 00b9 [enter]

This one works, Thanks for your niceness.

They are very professional. I guess I can only remember one or two.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Best Regards,

lina

You can get superscripts and a bunch of other useful things without memorizing
the ctl-shift-u codes.  Make yourself a compose key.  I have mine on the right
ctrl key, but you could use right alt, or, if you have a Microsoft k/b, then use
the right Microsoft key. You may have to Google how to make the compose key in your
distro.  In KDE, you can do it with configure desktop, configure hardware, configure
keyboard, advanced, and then select the key you want for compose. These figures
you make work anywhere on the machine, even in the Konsole. This trick works in
Windows, also, if you download a freebie called allchars and install it.

To use this, you hit compose, then a two-character sequence that looks something
like what you want to achieve.(
You need to be fairly quick from compose to characters,
but they are *not* simultaneous.)
For instance, the superscripted numbers can be
done by compose, then ^ then (number):  ²  ¹  etc.  The cent sign: compose,
then / then c:  ¢  The Euro sign: compose = e : €  All of the accented letters
of European languages: compose, then the diacritical mark (' ` ") then the letter.
You can reverse the order of the two characters, and it still works. You can also
get ¿ and ¡ for Spanish--compose, then the sign twice. Or the ß of German--compose
then s twice. Yen: ¥ ; degrees: ° (o twice);  fractions:
½ compose 12. You can see
that this is all pretty much intuitive, so you don't have to memorize or look up
alphameric codes.

--doug