Re: Debian Squeeze problem with firewire_core (DV camera over FireWire)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:02:30 +0200, matpro_fhkoeln wrote:

> Hello Camaleón (and others!),
>
> I tried to connect the camera over USB and it worked with streamer:
>
> root@pips04:/home/matpro# streamer -o test_streamer.avi -f rgb24 -r 25
> -t 0:10

Ah, good! :-)

> But before you need to enter this:
>
> root@pips04:/home/matpro# export
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
>
> Don't really know why this is necessary with Debian Squeeze (besides
> that it is necessary...), should be done by the OS actually (bug?).

IIRC this also needs to be done with some applications, like Skype, to
get video working, but dunno why, though.

> Some information for that connection method:

(...)

Looks good. The camera is detected and configured as UVC device.

> Concerning FireWire connection, the Firewire port itself is working.
>
> root@pips04:/home/matpro# ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname
> -r)/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko ls: Zugriff auf
> /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko nicht
> möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden (can't find file or dir)

(tip: you can append LANG=POSIX for getting messages in English instead
of your usual language)

Mmm... it is there in Lenny.

sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=POSIX; ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 46435 Jun 13 20:48 /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko

> As I know, FireWire treatment changed in Debian Squeeze, so there is no
> raw1394 module anymore.

Ah, that can be then the origin of your problem.

But I wonder why the module has been removed or what a user needs to do
in Squeeze to setup the camera via firewire port :-?

> root@pips04:/home/matpro# grep -e FIREWIRE -e IEEE1394 /boot/config*
> CONFIG_FIREWIRE=m
> CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI=m
> CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI_DEBUG=y
> CONFIG_FIREWIRE_SBP2=m
> CONFIG_FIREWIRE_NET=m
> # CONFIG_IEEE1394 is not set
> # CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI_REMOTE_DMA is not set
>
> So any further hints for successful FireWire connection?

This is from lenny:

sm01@stt008:~$ grep -e FIREWIRE -e IEEE1394 /boot/config*
# CONFIG_FIREWIRE is not set
CONFIG_IEEE1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_OHCI1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_PCILYNX=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2=m
# CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2_PHYS_DMA is not set
CONFIG_IEEE1394_ETH1394_ROM_ENTRY=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_ETH1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_VIDEO1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_DV1394=m
# CONFIG_IEEE1394_VERBOSEDEBUG is not set

Mmm, looks very different. Sorry, I can't be of any help here, but just
found this forum thread where people talked about this, maybe you find
something useful there:

DV capture stopped working in Debian Squeeze

Greetings,

--
Camaleón