Re: Debian Squeeze problem with firewire_core (DV camera over FireWire)

El 2011-09-10 a las 15:43 +0200, matpro_fhkoeln escribió:

(resending to the list)

> Am 10.09.2011 14:01, schrieb Camaleón:
> > On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 03:29:10 +0200, matpro_fhkoeln wrote:
> >
> >> I try to connect the Panasonic NV-GS500 over Firewire on Debian Squeeze,
> >> but it seems that Debian doesn't identify the camera correctly.
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > Are you sure the camera allows to be put in DV mode (live video
> > recording) and dumping the content on-the-fly to the PC?
> >
> > This usually works whe using manufacturer's windows based applications
> > but in linux maybe you need to first store the video in the camera and
> > then copy the files to the computer to edit/manage them :-?
> >
> > What non-linear video application are you using to capture the data flow?
> >
> > Greetings,

> Hello Camaleón,
>
> From the extract attached, this camera should be suitable, I think? What
> do you mean exactly - is it possible that a camera works in that mode
> using manufacturer's windows based applications but not in linux? I
> thought the problem is something like the kernel doesn't recognize it
> correctly, so it should work actually.

Video cameras (as well as some DSC) may require for a specific way to
handle data, so I would just first try to get the connection using the
usual way: store the video in the media card and then copy/paste/import
the files to your system. If the camera has an additional USB port, you
can use it to get the files.

> I'm trying it with dvgrab.
>
> root@pips04:/home/matpro# dvgrab test-
> Error: no camera exists

Maybe you should first check if your camera model is supported by
dvgrab :-?

This is from Kino "requirements" page:

http://www.kinodv.org/article/static/3

***
"The most important hardware item (at least if one considers the price)
is the camcorder. Kino and dvgrab work only with Digital Video (DV) camcorders and
compatible equipment (...)"
***

> Additional information about the FireWire port:
>
> root@pips04:/home/matpro# lspci -vv
> [...]
> 16:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments XIO2200(A)
> IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
>         Subsystem: Device 5678:1234
>         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
>         Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci

That indicates your firewire port is detected by the kernel. Can you
try to attach another ieee1394 peripheral (i.e., an external hdd case)
and check if it works?

In additional, check if you have the required kernel module to grab the
data:

ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko
grep -e FIREWIRE -e IEEE1394 /boot/config*

Greetings,

--
Camaleón