Re: Rethinking Personal Information Management - Advice and Ideas needed

On 08/09/11 14:13, Camaleón wrote:
On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 09:27:32 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

I would like better integration between my mobile phone and my desktop
environment in terms of calendar and contacts. In other words, I would
like to be easily able to see from my desktop what appointments I have
set up, and when I need contact information it should be accessible.
This can be a web interface if appropriate.

However I am quite confused about what is out there and whether I need
any of it.

I see here two different approaches:

1/ Install a calendar and contacts server application that you install on
your home based server computer (which is always on, always connected to
Internet)

Me server is on 24/7 and is connected to the internet so that would be the way to go. I prefer that to relying on other services to manage my data.

There seems a whole raft of groupware server packages out there
providing (I think) a web interface to e-mail calendars and contacts. Is
this the way to go?

I would avoid using web-based applications, they tend to be more insecure
-browser dependant- and their UI can be hard to manage from the screen of
your mobile device. But I say this because I'm the kind of person that
still prefers using a dedicated MUA to read her e-mails via IMAP and/or
POP3, so this is more a matter of your own preferences :-)

So what is out there - e-mail I have sorted, but what would you use as a calendar and a contact server?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk