Rethinking Personal Information Management - Advice and Ideas needed

For a little while now I have been slightly concerned that contact/address book management and calendar management is somewhat exposed - in that it only exists in my iPhone.

My contract for the phone comes to an end shortly and I will be making some changes - I may keep the iPhone, but I could just as equally switch to an Android model of some form. I think the time has come to do some strategic planning on how I should really manage mail, contacts and calendars.

My current situation is as follows:-

Mail:

I have a small home Debian Squeeze server running Exim (and anti-spam measures such as spamassissin) and Courier Imap providing e-mail accounts for me, my business and the rest of the family. I can access this inside the home via imap and from outside the home with imaps. This has been a long term stable platform for me and I am unlikely to want to change it. This machine also supports my external web sites, so could be a good platform for other stuff

I use Icedove for my mail client on my desktop - although I am not wedded to it, I am reasonably happy with its e-mail reading facilities especially as considerable junk comes through the spamassassin filters but its junk filters seem to catch all the rest (and as far as I am aware I haven't seen any false positives).

On the otherhand, my address book in it is a mess. It seems to be full of junk related (probably) to adding addresses from people who have sent me stuff.

External to the house I read my mail on my iPhone and that seems fine for me. It took a while to get imaps working and appropriate certificates loaded (self signed) and it would take a similar amount of time to figure how to do it with a new phone, but I am sure that is feasible.

Contacts:

My master contacts list is in my iPhone and it is that I would use if asked to find an address, telephone number or e-mail address. It is also where I add new contacts when I get them. However, scarily, because it is a manual process to sync the phone, I don't do it very often and even if I do, its hidden inside my windows laptop, which I hardly ever use.

Calendar:

My master calendar (including my list of birthdays - so important personal data) is also in my iPhone and at the moment that is the only device I use for entering meetings or other events. Again is it only backed up when I do the occassional manual syncing with itunes.

What I would like to achieve.

My mail server (which is also a server for lots of other stuff) has automated scripts which backs stuff up overnight - and indeed is where I collect information for offsite backups too. I would ideally like to hold the master of my calendars and contacts there too, so they could be included in this automated backup process. An acceptable alternative is my desktop which is also Debian and also backs up stuff automatically. However it is still essential that the main user interface is my mobile phone - I have to check and setup appointments whilst away from my computers.

I would like better integration between my mobile phone and my desktop environment in terms of calendar and contacts. In other words, I would like to be easily able to see from my desktop what appointments I have set up, and when I need contact information it should be accessible. This can be a web interface if appropriate.

However I am quite confused about what is out there and whether I need any of it.

I run Gnome on my desktop, but have never really got into Evolution. Why does it have something called a data server? Can you sync phones with it?

There seems a whole raft of groupware server packages out there providing (I think) a web interface to e-mail calendars and contacts. Is this the way to go?

My iPhone is difficult to sync to other than a windows based copy of iTunes. I am not wedded to this phone and could consider an android alternative if that could achieve my objectives.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk