Re: Rethinking Personal Information Management - Advice and Ideas needed

I don't know what Allen has for a cell phone but if it's an iPhone,
there's an org app for that in the app store.

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Alan Chandler wrote:

> On 08/09/11 14:13, Camale?n wrote:
> > On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 09:27:32 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> >
> > > I would like better integration between my mobile phone and my desktop
> > > environment in terms of calendar and contacts. In other words, I would
> > > like to be easily able to see from my desktop what appointments I have
> > > set up, and when I need contact information it should be accessible.
> > > This can be a web interface if appropriate.
> > >
> > > However I am quite confused about what is out there and whether I need
> > > any of it.
> >
> > I see here two different approaches:
> >
> > 1/ Install a calendar and contacts server application that you install on
> > your home based server computer (which is always on, always connected to
> > Internet)
>
> Me server is on 24/7 and is connected to the internet so that would be the way
> to go.  I prefer that to relying on other services to manage my data.
>

> > > There seems a whole raft of groupware server packages out there
> > > providing (I think) a web interface to e-mail calendars and contacts. Is
> > > this the way to go?
> >
> > I would avoid using web-based applications, they tend to be more insecure
> > -browser dependant- and their UI can be hard to manage from the screen of
> > your mobile device. But I say this because I'm the kind of person that
> > still prefers using a dedicated MUA to read her e-mails via IMAP and/or
> > POP3, so this is more a matter of your own preferences :-)
>
> So what is out there - e-mail I have sorted, but what would you use as a
> calendar and a contact server?

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet
of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's
got God on his side."
~ Bill Hicks