Re: How to disable USB automounts

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Bob Proulx wrote:

Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 13:38:03 -0600
From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How to disable USB automounts

Itay wrote:
When I stick a USB device into the socket it is automounted; KDE
pops up device notification widget, file manager window, etc.

I tried to disable it:
KDE -> System Settings -> Removable Devices, and unchecked
"Enable automatic mounting of removable devices".
This didn't have any effect.

My experience is with GNOME but will report it to you anyway.  Perhaps
the additional information will be useful.

For GNOME this behavior is part of Nautilus.  You can use the
gconf-editor, navigate down to the Nautilus setting
/apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount and disable it.  Next to it
is media_automount_open and media_autorun_never in the same location.
I disable both of those too.

Bob

Sounds like the equivalent of what I tried with KDE.
As pointed out earlier in this thread this is a single-user solution (for GNOME to; right?). It does not prevent other users from automounting; nor new users.

So I will try to follow up the udev route.

Thanks,
Itay