Re: DO NOT BUY Western Digital "Green" Drives (also present in WD "Elements" external USB cases)

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 4:41 AM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sep 4, 2011 3:23 AM, "Miles Bader" <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> writes:
> > just guess ...  might be wrong, might lots of people coming for WD,
> > so the stores only sold WD.
>
> Dunno, but I've had extremely good experiences with WD drives in the
> past, so I'd definitely favor them when I buy a new one...

I have absolutely no oppinion. I was merely pointing out that the OP was presenting his oppinion as fact and I thought that pretty messed up.

Grented, due to the inciteful the subject was, I'm sure this thread will keep going for at least a week and most of us will remember something bad about WD the next time we go buy a disc. Oh well. The OP probably  got his wish :)

Well, actually, you have all helped that to happen by broadening the topic.  It wasn't about a brand, but about
a brand and model type specifically.  This is about Green WD drives, not all WD drives.

Before buying anything important to you, or something you don't want to buy all over again
because you are careful with money, you should research the consumer reaction or solicit opinions on it.

I researched the green drives from all makers and learned they are engineered to do one thing well: save
power while in a desktop not in use.  They are not designed for servers, nor even for intense computing
use like gaming or RAID.  I also noticed consumer backlash on all green drives, and cheaper pricing on
green drives than any other kind (fire sale at some retailers).  So I did not buy green drives.

I have used WD blue SATA 1TB drives in a couple of servers with RAID 1 and
there is no problem. The most intense server using them is running cyrus mail,
and horde webmail, for about 3000 mailboxes and probably 500 users
visiting their mailboxes every day.  The horde webmail on there also serves
users of another cyrus system with 4000 more active mailboxes on it.
The system is backed up nightly with EMC networker, and runs
in a room with air conditioning.  Right now, early on a Sunday morning, the load is
only .35 and the hard drive internal temperature from smartctl is 37 C.  I imagine
it does go above 40 when loaded or under full backup duty.