Holiday Project for my job

I am trying to set up several Linux desktops for a secure (locked)
facility for troubled teenagers.  I brought one home to set up (so I can
have unfettered internet access) but then I need to be able to 'clone'
it to others without internet access (so package retrieval is impossible
unless I bring home every single desktop; and we are talking about up to
50).  So I need advice on the following:

1.  Which distro to use?  I've used Mint before in a similar setting
(and was pleased) but I'm now stuck with 6 year old Dells with almost no
video acceleration and .5 G memory each.  I'm thinking XFCE with Mint or
Xbuntu, but am open to others (even a stock debian install which I use
on my home machine) but I will not be able to update unless I do so
manually (which a CD or thumbdrive).

2.  How do I 'clone' the machine to a CD or, preferably, a thumb drive
so I can install the same configuration to all machines (limiting menu
options, put in educational games, add openoffice or libreoffice, etc.)?

Thank you for your time.