Re: Installing Nvida DKMS way, what's the difference between /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and /etc/X11/xorg.conf method?

AFAICT this does not use a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but a device specific
configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Since Xorg in Squeeze configures
itself automagically it is (IMHO) preferred to manually configure just the
devices that you actually want to configure.

It might help if I break this command down for you:

1. aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-`uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'`

  This installs the kernel headers which are needed to compile the nvidia
  module. The `uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'` command will just expand to
  your architecture:

      $ uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'
      amd64

  nvidia-kernel-dkms

  and this package contains/pulls-in the nvidia driver itself.
This is where the wiki gets confusing. It says I need to Install the NVIDIA X driver and user-space libraries - step 3.

I believe I read somewhere that the nvidia-kernel-dkms also installs the driver and user space libraries.

Is this step deprecated?

 2. mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ; echo -e 'Section "Device"\n\t
   Identifier "My GPU"\n\tDriver "nvidia"\nEndSection' >
   /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf"

   This command will create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf file with
   the following content:

       Section "Device"
           Identifier "My GPU"
           Driver "nvidia"
       EndSection

   which configures Xorg to use the nvidia driver in lieu of the nouveau one.

file name "20-nvidia.conf" - is the name arbitrary or does it have to be that exact name?

--
Kind regards,
Yudi