Re: Dual Boot.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 September 2011 02:30, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > On 1 September 2011 13:09, Lennart Sorensen
>> > <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>

>> > Windows people never think ahead.
>> > They let their pogrom do it for them.
>>
>> Since Debian's default install uses the whole disk, perhaps "Debian
>> people never think ahead..." too.
>>
>> Criticizing Windows in this way makes you look silly; at best.
>
> Not really.
> It's not beyond the bounds of common knowledge that Windows keeps the fact
> that there might be alternatives somewhat in the dark and adheres to a mode
> of operation that promotes that.
> Even in Debian's default install you are presented with a range of options.
> When was the last time you did a Windows install that offered an ext3, ext4,
> or jfs format on any partition?
> I can connect to a Debian box and get a USB flash formatted in NTFS or
> FAT32, so that I can bring Windows files back home to work on them, just for
> one example.
> When did you ever get that option with Microsoft?
> My current situation, in fact, currently hinges on exactly that.
>
> If you state as you seem to be , that Microsoft don't enter into grubby
> strategies of monopoly control, it ain't me that looks 'silly at best'.

Everyone wants to be a monopolist; to quote Vin Diesel from "The
Chronicles of Riddick": It's an animal thing.

MS isn't an exception, it's the rule! And those who lived through
IBM's pre-PC, pre-MS behavior (not me) will tell you that MS is
civilized by comparison.

Your previous post didn't mention anything about filesystem choice or
USB filesystems. You're twisting what I said and changing the topic,
which is unsurprising given that you twisted "program" into "pogrom"
in your previous post.

You've clearly never done a Windows install if you think that you
can't customize it to install Windows to a partition rather than the
whole disk, just like Debian - or any other Linux distribution.

It's normal for a proprietary software company to offer just one
filesystem format. Why would it want to finance competing teams to
work on the same product when it can offer one format than can be
tuned for different uses? A derived benefit to MS sysadmins don't have
to put up with (or get into!) religious discussions of btrfs v/s ext4
v/s xfs!

There are ext2/ext3 drivers for Windows...