Re: Building the kernel myself

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 05:04:00 -0400 (EDT), Ralf Jung wrote:
> On Saturday 27 August 2011 17:57:00 Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> I am in a hurry to get to a wedding; so I don't have time for a more
>> thorough reply right now; but you might want to take a look at
>>
>>    http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
>
> thanks for that very informative link.
> I can confirm however that with current Debian testing, "make deb-pkg"
> works like a charm. It is a good idea to disable debug symbols though
> (CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO) to keep the size of the modules reasonably.

To each his own.  If you're happy with "make deb-pkg", then use it.
I still prefer make-kpkg because of its greater flexibility.  (I only
get a headers package if I ask for one, for example.  Most of the
time I don't need one.)  I also like the ease with which one can
change the kernel version and the kernel revision.

However, regardless of whether you use "make deb-pkg" or make-kpkg,
you may find useful kernel-building information on the above web page.
For example, the hook scripts (zy-symlinks) come in handy for users
of boot loaders that use symbolic links, such as lilo, zipl, etc.
The above page does discuss "make deb-pkg", although it is not the
primary focus.

P.S.  Please don't top post.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell