Re: root path change

Camaleón wrote:
> Paul Scott wrote:
> > About a week ago 'sudo aptitude' stopped working because /sbin and
> > /usr/sbin are no longer on the path.  Is this possible a recent security
> > improvement?  Aptitude works fine if I use "su -" instead of sudo.

But surely aptitude is in /usr/bin/aptitude and not /usr/sbin/aptitude?

I tested this a moment ago on an up to date Sid machine and sudo
worked okay to find aptitude in /usr/bin/aptitude for me.

> Hummm... the change seems to be listed here:
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/s/sudo/sudo_1.8.2-1/changelog
> * move secure_path from configure to default sudoers, closes: #85123, 85917

But default secure_path is
  secure_path=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
and so should definitely find aptitude in the path in /usr/bin.

What is your path after the sudo?  This is easy to tell with:

  sudo printenv PATH

I see this on my Sid machine:

  $ sudo printenv PATH
  /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

And then you should look at 'sudo -l' to see what it says.  There
should be clues there.

Bob