Re: Rsync fails on copying large file

Hallo Alan,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:56:02AM +0200, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I use Rsync between two of my machines to facilitate regular backups.
> In the case I have a problem with I am attempting to copy a file using
> the double colon (::) method to talk to the rsync daemon on the
> receiving end.
>
> I have been having regular failures of this backup and have traced it
> down to copying a 60Gb .vdi (Virtual Box virtual disk image).  The
> manual command, and error I received when I just tried it was...

Did you specify a folder/directory for rsync to use as temporary space
and did that folder have enough space for a 60Gb file?  If you do not
specify it, it will use /tmp and I have in the past sometimes
experienced problems because /tmp did not have enough space for a very
large file.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

     "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season;
      reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and
      doctrine."          II Timothy 4:2