Re: securing the system, stopping unnecessary services and closing open ports.

On 29/08/11 18:35, yudi v wrote:

<snipped>

I purged the above files but still have� the following service running.
111/tcp open� rpcbind

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Probably portmap...

See if it's installed
$ dpkg --get-selections portmap

If it is, and it bothers you, it can be removed - check and see if anything uses it:-
# apt-get -s remove portmap | less

If it's the only package to be removed:-
# apt-get --purge remove portmap

Check your port:-
$ netstat -an | grep 111

SUN RPC is another protocol that uses that port.

Cheers

--
"I've got a bathtub and an imagination, I'm staying indoors this summer.
That way I can listen to music that I like."