Re: A Question about Journalling File Systems and Flash Drives

Scott Ferguson wrote at 2011-08-28 10:19 -0500:
> On 29/08/11 00:03, green wrote:
> > Scott Ferguson wrote at 2011-08-27 08:50 -0500:
> > > I don't imagine upgrading will make much difference - the controller
> > > distributes the writes evenly, for which reason I reserve 25% of
> > > space when installing (instead of the default 10%). NOTE: I could be
> > > wrong about that - I'm just guessing.
> >
> > Hmm, that reserves 25% for root use only, something that occurs above the
> > filesystem level.
>
> Is that a specific area that's reserved - or just an amount of space
> kept free for root?

mke2fs(8):
"percentage of the filesystem blocks"

I read that as just an amount of space reserved so that if a regular user
fills up the filesystem, he is denied further writes while root processes can
still write.

> Currently I use ext3 which has (major) fragmentation problems when
> it runs short on space (90-95% of space) - especially when used for
> lots of frequent, small writes as it is.

mke2fs(8) does mention using a reserved-blocks-percentage to reduce
fragmentation. But it only limits user processes.