Re: A Question about Journalling File Systems and Flash Drives

On 29/08/11 00:03, green wrote:
Scott Ferguson wrote at 2011-08-27 08:50 -0500:
I don't imagine upgrading will make much difference - the controller
distributes the writes evenly, for which reason I reserve 25% of
space when installing (instead of the default 10%). NOTE: I could be
wrong about that - I'm just guessing.

Hmm, that reserves 25% for root use only, something that occurs above the
filesystem level.

Is that a specific area that's reserved - or just an amount of space kept free for root?

So probably you are giving up 25% of the space
and gaining nothing.

In this instance the install used is less than 300MB, and it's unusual for me to have more than 1GB on the stick - so I'm not giving up anything. The stick is used to move my configs and an OS, not to ferry data - I use the tubes for that.

And the default is 5% according to mke2fs(8).

That would be a guessing I warned of. ;-p

Currently I use ext3 which has (major) fragmentation problems when it runs short on space (90-95% of space) - especially when used for lots of frequent, small writes as it is. My concern was/is that fragmentation would shorten the lifespan - another reason to move to ext4.

NOTE: when I first created the sticks I was expecting 6 month lifetimes based on the pessimistic estimates people were making at the time. It was only later I realised those estimates didn't allow for how the controllers distribute writes.

Cheers

--
"You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day" Yeah, looks liked He rushed it."
— Bill Hicks