Re: debugging package breakage

On 22/08/11 01:48, Tom Roche wrote:

> summary: my questions are about
>
> + using Debian packaging and its tools (notably apt-*, aptitude)
> + fixing problems with same
>
> *not*
>
> - fixing broken functionality
> - LMDE
> - LMDE repositories
>
> If there is a better place to ask end-user-level questions about Debian
> packaging and its tools (vs dev- or builder-level), please point me to
> it.

As has been pointed out before - you are asking questions about Mint.
Not Debian:-
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-choosing.en.html#s3.2.2

Regardless of the claims made by Mint developers - Mint is not Debian:-
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-choosing.en.html#s3.2

Though Mint developers claim Mint is "100% compatible with Debian
Testing and Stable" - Debian isn't 100% compatible with Testing AND Stable".

> Meanwhile, I'm interested in ways to make `aptitude` see as unbroken
> packages that appear (notably, to `apt-get`) to be in fact unbroken. One
> such way is proposed below (purging and re-installing `aptitude`), but
> it appears problematic (more below).

Despite being unable to do a task, you insist you know what the problem
is and how to fix it.

But then you mix stable and testing without pinning....

<snipped>
> Scott Ferguson Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:28:44 +1000
>>> I understand that you're trying to illustrate *what* you think is not
>>> working (ie. shown by Aptitude as broken.... but *what* is it that *is
>>> not* working?
>
> *Aptitude* appears (to me--ICBW) to be not working properly, based on
> the following 5 facts:

<snipped because it's not relevant>

I asked for the output of apt-get -sf install and apt-get -s install rsync.

> TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

Cheers

--
"Music is a great energizer. It's a language everybody knows."
~ Bill Hicks