Re: debugging package breakage

On 19/08/11 13:20, Tom Roche wrote:

> summary: I'm a new debian user

Not yet you're not - confused?
You are still using Ubuntu.

Debian makes potatoes.
Ubuntu mashes the Debian potatoes, dries them, adds stuff, and
repackages - to make a variety of potato based products.
Mint uses Ubuntu instant potato mix as a basis for a vegetable based meal.

Apparently the instructions on the side of the packages made by Ubuntu
and Mint aren't very good - so people come here asking about potatoes....

>  with some package breakage. I'd appreciate
>
> * assistance with my specific problem (i.e., give me a fish)
> * general heuristics for debug package breakage (i.e., teach me to fish)
>
> details: I'm a longtime ubuntu user who switched last week to
>
> $ lsb_release -ds
> Linux Mint Debian Edition
> $ uname -rv
> 2.6.39-2-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jul 5 02:51:22 UTC 2011
>
> While I very much appreciate the better performance I'm getting on LMDE
> (which is based on debian testing), I'm also appreciating the extent to
> which ubuntu sheltered me from having to learn much about APT :-) So I'd
> appreciate your assistance with debugging the following problem:

The best way to learn apt is to use it :-)
Aptitude != apt.

> me@it:~$ aptitude search ?broken
>> iB  acl             - Access control list utilities
>> iB  coreutils       - GNU core utilities
>> iB  cups            - Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
>> iB  libacl1-dev     - Access control list static libraries and headers
>> iB  libarchive1     - Single library to read/write tar, cpio, pax, zip, iso9660, etc.
>> iB  libgnomevfs2-0  - GNOME Virtual File System (runtime libraries)
>> iB  libisofs6       - library to create ISO9660 images
>> iB  ntfs-3g         - read-write NTFS driver for FUSE
>> iB  rsync           - fast remote file copy program (like rcp)
>> iB  samba           - SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix

<snipped>

> So I'm confused. Why does `aptitude` think these packages are broken? If
> it's wrong (i.e., the packages are not broken), how do I correct its
> misperception? If it's correct, how do I fix the packages, if `aptitude`
> won't force install?
>
> Feel free to forward or to point me to FM to RT,

But we have Really Fine Manuals here.... ;-p

> and TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

Mint != Debian, so you will get more relevant answers asking on Mint
forums. Regardless of how helpful Debian users wish to be, we have
little information on how Mint changes things - only that they do. In
most cases your problems will be specific to Mint, and only confusing to
Debian. I appreciate that Mint is regarded as Debian's red-headed step
son - but even if someone here can help - it won't help the Mint community.

I understand that you're trying to illustrate what you think is not
working (ie. shown by Aptitude as broken.... but what is it that *is
not* working?

Are any of repositories that you use Debian repositories?
NOTE: Debian style is not Debian.

What does:-
# apt-get update; apt-get -sf install
output?

When you've tried that (and noted the results), what does:-
# apt-get -s install rsync
output?

Please paste both outputs to your post (with the other answers).

Cheers

--
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet
of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's