Re: OT questions about noscript and notscript

On 21/08/11 19:10, consul tores wrote:
> 2011/8/19 Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>:
>>
>> <snipped>
>>

>>> Some people think that both, could be a security risk, because they
>>> run under java, Is not it?
>>>

>> Wow! You don't half like to load and sophist-i-cate a question do you? :-D
>
> I do not understand what you say, but it could be assumed as a joke,

It was/is difficult to understand what you were asking, and you made it
conditional on both programs running "under" Java.

> by convenience.

Thank you.

>> Noscript does not run "under" Java.
>
> Well, If you say that, I can not confirm it,

NoScript is in the Debian repository. You can also just disable, remove,
or uninstall Java.
I don't know about the similarly named, not-similar, NotScript - I
"suspect" it doesn't run "under" Java either, but I'm not about to
install either of them in order to check ;-p

> but read this:
> http://adblockplus.org/blog/attention-noscript-users

See:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoScript#Criticism
for a slightly more balanced take.

ditto, note that 2 years have passed an no other scandals have emerged -
and more people are paying attention now.

> http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126

This last one just lost me...

> I am not a programer, then i trust Debian developers and maintainers,
> but it reading information some things seem real.

I saw nothing in the provided links about java.
The third link is to the blog of the noscript developer.

Any program has security risks - it's a broad term. For general desktop
and business purposes I "believe" noscript poses (far) less risks than
it negates.
A good analogy would be looking before crossing the road - the eyes can
play tricks but....
The first two links just illustrate the reasons why Open Source is a
good development model - problems where quickly spotted and corrected.

<snipped>

Cheers

--
"Do a commercial, you're off the artistic roll call, every word you say
is suspect, you're a corporate whore and eh, end of story."