Re: bugs with debian small install

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:32:07 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> Thank you very much for that link. I'll study that, though I got the
> other prep method from the site of a guy who was involved in setting up
> the use of the hybrid images for these images. You've given me some
> homework to do. I can't think why the different method of preparation
> would result in authentication errors with the mirror, when the same
> image works perfectly when run from CD. ...

I don't really think the method used for getting the installer into the
USB flash key has nothing to do for the errors you mentioned. In fact, I
think the above errors are neither related to the USB image itself.
Installer logs will tell where the errors come from.

>>> Since Scott said "dvd-rom" I'm wondering why the small image was
>>> written to that type of disc. I can't imagine why, but maybe the image
>>> just needs to be written to a standard CD+R or CD-R disc in order to
>>> work.
>>
>> I think that's irrelevant for the installer. You waste a DVD but that's
>> all :-)

> I'm certain that you're right, but I was so weirded out by the images
> suddenly not working from a usb stick any more that I was wondering if
> something "magical" was happening. (I've used hybrid images prepared the
> same way a dozen times before, and they had always worked for me --
> right up up until this week.)

The testing installer image may be suffering from specific bugs/problems,
you can try with daily or weekly images or even with unstable installer
to avoid any glicth.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón