Re: bugs with debian small install

On 08/19/2011 02:46 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:28:44 -0400, Scott Reagan wrote:

I tried to install the small verion of debian, the 32 bit version and it
wouldn't read my dvd rom so I couldn't finish the install. please help.
I really want this os system and have heard great things about it.

You can try to install from an USB device.

Greetings,

For purposes of the discussion.

This week I tried using AMD64 and i386 businesscard installations from USB flash drives to install Debian testing on two different systems. I used builds from both 08/15 and 08/17 -- all of them verified with SHA512. These builds all failed to install -- giving me verification errors with several different mirrors, including the main US one. (All of the d-i steps up until the step immediately after choosing the mirror worked perfectly.)

Those same images burned to CD-R gave me perfect installations on both machines.

This has me wondering if there was something wrong with the hybrid images so that they wouldn't work with the standard method of preparation, namely

# dd if=<name-of-hybrid-image>.iso of=/dev/sdX

wouldn't work. I'm worried that an attempt at using a usb device may fail, too.

Since Scott said "dvd-rom" I'm wondering why the small image was written to that type of disc. I can't imagine why, but maybe the image just needs to be written to a standard CD+R or CD-R disc in order to work.

I'd also be curious to know exactly what Scott meant by the words "wouldn't read my dvd rom so I couldn't finish the install". The word "finish" implies that there was at least no initial problem reading the disc. Does Scott mean that the install process failed at the "Detect CD-ROM" point, or something else? I'm wondering if he could have got the mirror authentication error that I kept getting when trying to install from a usb device.