Re: How do I partition a 250 gb drive for a dual boot setup?

On Sat 20 Aug 2011 at 01:54:55 -1200, sdc wrote:

> Unfortunately I have to use Windows 7 as well so I need to setup a dual
> boot. This dual boot setup will run on a laptop with a 250 GB HDD and a
> Broadcom BCM4312(I tried installing debian 6 some while ago but had no
> network driver. I imagine that I need to download it using another computer
> then installing it on the laptop. From where can I get it?)

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Install to the laptop with a cabled connection. Set up the BCM4312 from
within Debian.

> My biggest concern is the fact that I don't know how many partitions to make
> for Debian and how large. I was thinking about making a windows partition of
> 100gb and the rest go to Debian. Please, if it's possible provide me with a
> partition scheme (that much for root, that much for swap, etc) and
> instructions of how to set the dualboot laptop up and running.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

Start the installer in expert mode. Shrink the Windows partition and
partition using the Manual option. Putting Debian on a single partition
saves you thinking about wasted space or having sufficient space on a
partition. Alternatively, have / as 10/20GB and use the remainder for
/home. 1-2GB would be suficient for swap.

GRUB will detect Windows when it is installed to the mbr.