Re: How do I partition a 250 gb drive for a dual boot setup?

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 01:54:55 -1200, sdc wrote:

> Greetings! I have been using a debian based distro for about 6 months. I
> want to switch to Debian as I consider the project more professional and
> not bloated.
>

> Unfortunately I have to use Windows 7 as well so I need to setup a dual
> boot. This dual boot setup will run on a laptop with a 250 GB HDD and a
> Broadcom BCM4312(I tried installing debian 6 some while ago but had no
> network driver. I imagine that I need to download it using another
> computer then installing it on the laptop. From where can I get it?)
>

> My biggest concern is the fact that I don't know how many partitions to
> make for Debian and how large. I was thinking about making a windows
> partition of 100gb and the rest go to Debian. Please, if it's possible
> provide me with a partition scheme (that much for root, that much for
> swap, etc) and instructions of how to set the dualboot laptop up and
> running.

For a beginner, probably the easiest way is:

1) Install Windows
2) Use Windows to shrink your Windows partition to 100M. Leave the
remaining space unpartitioned.
3) Install Debian, and tell it to use free disk space. It will do its
thing for you.
4) Google 'Broadcom BCM4312 + Debian' and look at the first result.
Sheesh.