Re: Hardware failure: power-off

El 2011-08-20 a las 12:34 +0200, Panayiotis Karabassis escribió:

(resending to the list)

> Thank you again!
>
> $ acpi -V
> Battery 0: Full, 100%
> Battery 0: design capacity 4400 mAh, last full capacity 3558 mAh = 80%
> Adapter 0: on-line
> Thermal 0: ok, 58.8 degrees C
> Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 199.8
> degrees C
> Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 10
> Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
>
> There is no way the temperature reached 199.8 degrees C!

Not al all :-}

"Trip points" are temperature levels triggers that activate preventive
mesaures when they are reached (like powering-off the system or make
your fans run faster). But 199.8℃ looks of course wrong, even for an
ultra-low consumption microprocessor is a very high value, so there is a
bug on acpi package/kernel or your BIOS is delivering wrong values that makes
acpi goes nuts :-)

Try a BIOS update, if possible.

> All my important data is on my desktop PC.
>
> I'll probably take it to the service center. There my a problem with the
> thermal glue on the processor + plus all those you described yourself.
>
> Thanks again!

You're welcome.

Greetings,

--