Re: PAE Kernel to generic

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:16:01 +0530, Sudheendra . wrote:

> recently, I have upgraded kernel version from 2.6.32 to 2.6.39 through
> synaptic on my laptop.
> Now, not able to compile ALSa package as it says that no kernel module
> found. after searching in google, i found out that this is because of
> *pae kernel* which required for the system more than 4GB Ram.

Hum... you will need to install the corresponding packages (header,
symbols or whatever it requires) for your pae kernel in order to be able
to compile things.

> I have 2 GB Ram and i need to switch back to generic kernel version,

My nebook also has a hardware limit of 2 GiB but I still use the PAE
kernel. PAE kernel is not only convenient for more than 4 GiB of ram but
is also enables SMP (multi-processing) and NX bit (a security measure).
In brief, just keep it as is :-)

> how i could do that?

AFAIK, the latest kernel remain installed on your system unless you
excplicitely removed, at least when it was an upgrade. Anyway, you can
reinstall whatever kernel you prefer just like you install other packages.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón