Re: 2TB file system

On 8/17/2011 10:19 AM, Dejan Ribič wrote:
> Dne 17.8.2011 15:27, piše lina:
>> What's the best choice of the portable hard drive.
>> reliable. 1TB.
>>
>> There are many brands, I don't know which one is reliable. I once
>> tried the hitachi.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Roger Leigh<rleigh@codelibre.net>
>> wrote:

>>> It should always work in some form, though you might need to
>>> restrict its size with a jumper or force 512 byte sectors if you
>>> see problems.
>>>
>>> One odd problem I came across when I installed a pair of WD20EARS
>>> 2.0GB discs is that while they are 4KiB sector drives, they tell the
>>> opearating system that their native sector size is 512B, i.e. they
>>> lie.  Who knows why?--presumably so it's backward compatible or
>>> something, but it does mean when partitioning you need to manually
>>> partition on 4KiB boundaries or else you'll suffer from poor
>>> performance.  Hopefully in the future they will tell the truth so
>>> that all the tools just work.
>>>
>>> I worked around this by partitioning using GPT and telling the
>>> tool (parted IIRC) to use units of 4KiB to ensure correct partition
>>> alignment.  It's all working nicely so far with LVM and/or Btrfs on
>>> top.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Roger
>>>
>>> --
>>>   .''`.  Roger Leigh
>>>   : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux             http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/
>>>   `. `'   Printing on GNU/Linux?
>>> http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/
>>>    `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please GPG sign your mail.

> Hi,
>
>    I recommend using Western Digital, I have those drives in all of my
> pc's have one 80 GB and that one is from the days when 80 GB drives,
> where the most that you could get, and its still working great. BTW:
> Didn't Hitachi used to be IBM? I am just asking because I didn't have
> the best experience with IBM drives, had two of them and they both broke
> within 18 months(lucky for me I had quaranty for them :D ).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dejan

See, I'm the opposite of all of these suggestions. I would never
recommend Hitachi/IBM or Western Digital. I've had repeatedly poor
experiences with both.

I bought 2 80GB IBM DeskStar's and they fried the machine with in 48
hours, upon inspected the drives had some how caught fire, the fire
crated a short which cooked everything into something looking like burnt
bacon. Luckily I was close by and the fire didn't spread, but it did
trip the breaker in my apartment.

I used to use WD's back when the biggest you could get was 8GB, once
they broke the 10GB-15GB barriers is when I started to have repeated
failures on drives, for stupidly unexplained reasons too. I just came to
the point where I failed to see their value vs application (daily
desktop use.)

I had someone who absolutely insisted on Hitachi drives, started out
with a 40GB drive, DoA, replaced it *THREE* times, directly from the
factory, all three were DoA. Now we're up to 4 DoA Drives, Hatachi/IBM
knew my name and dreaded my calls. Finally they got fed up with me and
next-day'd 4 of their latest model drives, hot off the assembly line
they swore. When the drives arrived, I saw that they were 80GB 10K RPM
drives. They worked great once I had the system assembled. A week later,
I get a phone call that the machine can't boot. At first I thought it
was the motherboad, so I brought an old 20GB Seagate drive I had laying
around with me, plugged the Seagate in and the bios found the drive
instantly. Whereas the Hitachi's would cause the bios to hang for
upwards of 10 minutes before the drives would fail. I let the client
keep the 20GB drive as it suited his needs anyway and took the dead
drives with me. When I got home, I tested each drive and sure enough,
they were absolutely dead, they refused to spin up. Returned them to
IBM/Hitachi and for a refund that I never got, never got paid for the
original 40GB drive which was $250 at the time. On the plus side, that
20GB Seagate drive is still running, 9 years later as the FTP Storage
drive for that office's intranet.

Ever since the above incident I've used Seagate drives, no matter the
application, I will save up what I need or figure the cost of the
Seagate's I needed for the job at hand. I've got a few more 20's laying
around, some still in use all the way up to 4x1TB drives in my desktop.
never had any serious problems with any of them. On the rare chance that
I did, Seagate was quick to get me a new drive ASAP.

P.S. I have never heard of GoFlex for a hard-drive manufacturer ...
toddles off to google ... ahh I see, GoFlex is Seagates line of external
drives (I don't use them so I had no idea...)