Re: 2TB file system

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:
> I recently acquired a 2TB SATA HD that I have not yet installed. It will
> be used entirely to store media files. Would there be any problems in
> formating the entire disk (no partitions) as an EXT4 file system?
>
> Any other considerations?

Some controllers are 32-bit: that means they *cannot* manage hard
drives over 32-bit. This has been a historical problem of older RAID
controllers and 32-bit operating systems. It used to be a problem for
boot loaders, where the older LILO boot loaders couldn't handle boot
partitions past the 1023 cylinder limit, which used to by why the
/boot partition had to be on its own partition in earlier versions of
Linux.

These days, though with current motherboards and SATA controllers,
current releases of Debian with 2.6 kernels,ext4, and 64-bit operating
system? Goddess only knows how large of a disk you can manage. Try it
with your system and let us know!!!!!