Re: Looking for a package management GUI in KDE

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:56:57 -0400
> Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Nico,
>
>> Synaptic is my friend. The only issue I've had with it is that, due to
>> locking, I cannot run "apt-get" command line simultaneously from
>> another window. But that's a small price to pay for such a well
>> developed GUI.
>
> Locking is a good thing.  It's there for a reason.  Why would you need
> to run apt-get at the same time as Synaptic, anyway?

Because you left Synaptic running on an X session, went home,and would
like to install or change something or let the nightly updates run. Or
because you're running a local setup script, or nightly update tool.

I'm not saying locking is bad: I'm saying "it can interfere", because
the GUI keeps the lock open continuously in a way that occasional
apt-get or aptitude commands do not.