Re: Partition not mounted. Was Transplanting old System to New Drive

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:30:41 -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:

> After using dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=10M, I got a copy of a boot
> drive's image on what will eventually be the new boot drive.

Clonezilla does the migration job quite well.

If the target disk/partition is bigger than the old from where you are
copying the data, you can adjust some options when restoring the cloned
image to avoid missing hard disk space.

> The new drive is about half again as big as the old drive and research
> plus several previous answers from this list has lead me to try the
> following strategy:
>
> Use fdisk to delete all partitions including the active one but, of
> course do not write anything just yet. Make a new primary partition
> whose starting cylinder is the same as the old primary but place the end
> point where one wants the new primary partition to end.
> Use resize2fs to fix the file system.
>
> 	I was able to remove the old swap partition with no
> trouble but when I went to delete partition 1, fdisk tells me that this
> partition is already mounted and to use umount. It's not mounted but
> since /dev/hda1 is, I suspect that this information exists in the image,
> making fdisk think /dev/hdb1 is mounted.
>
> 	Is there a way to convince fdisk that hdb1 is not
> mounted?

I'm not sure in what stage of the migration are you right now (I did not
follow the full thread), but have you tried to boot from a LiveCD and
work from there?

If this neither works, I guess you can safely re-format the target drive
and start from scratch (make a copy first if there is valuable data you
can save).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón