Re: setting up a static IP address

Steve Kleene, 15.08.2011:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:14:56 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote:
>
> > NM calls -by default- "dhclient", so... is NM running?
>
> Yes, it is running on each of the two machines.
>
> > If so, stop NM ("/etc/init.d/network-manager stop") or kill "dhclient"
> > process and then restart the network service (also run ifdown/ifup, just to
> > be sure). After that run "ifconfig" to check the current IP. If that solves
> > your problem, just disable NM and your happiness will inmediately start :-)
>
> Doing just this:
>   cd /etc/init.d; network-manager stop; networking restart
>
> gave me the desired static IP.  Then I ran this:
>
> cd /etc/rc3.d; mv S03network-manager K97network-manager
>
> rebooted and again got the desired static IP.
>
> So assuming I won't miss network-manager, all is well.  I still don't
> understand why the other box, which is still running network-manager and a
> static IP, doesn't have this problem.  They're both running updated Wheezy.
>
> Anyway, now I can get back to my real job.  Thanks again.

FYI, you can use Network Manager and /etc/network/interfaces together w/o
problems.  I run sid, but I've been using this setup for some years now,
so I would expect it to work on stable and testing too.

>From /usr/share/doc/network-manager/README.Debian:
Devices listed in /etc/network/interfaces _will_ be managed by NetworkManager
unless the ifupdown system-config-setting is enabled and is setup to run
in "Unmanaged mode".

The config to select unmanaged/managed mode is in
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:

  [ifupdown]
  managed=true/false
There are plugins for different configuration sources.
By default the ifupdown and keyfile plugin are enabled, see
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:

  [main]
  plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

The ifupdown plugin is read-only and reads the native ifupdown configuration
file /etc/network/interfaces.

For example, on my system I have my wired interface settings in /e/n/i
and I change my wireless settings through the NM gui in Gnome.
When I plug in the cable, the /e/n/i setup is activated (static IP and DNS),
and when I choose wireless in the GUI, the wireless settings are used
(static or dynamic depending on the wireless network).
My /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file has:
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=true

(I also have dns-nameservers lines in my eth0 stanza in /e/n/i.
IIRC, when I didn't, using dynamic wireless connections kept clobbering
the static DNS entries in /etc/resolv.conf.)