Re: setting up a static IP address

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:14:56 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote:

> NM calls -by default- "dhclient", so... is NM running?

Yes, it is running on each of the two machines.

> If so, stop NM ("/etc/init.d/network-manager stop") or kill "dhclient"
> process and then restart the network service (also run ifdown/ifup, just to
> be sure). After that run "ifconfig" to check the current IP. If that solves
> your problem, just disable NM and your happiness will inmediately start :-)

Doing just this:
  cd /etc/init.d; network-manager stop; networking restart

gave me the desired static IP.  Then I ran this:

cd /etc/rc3.d; mv S03network-manager K97network-manager

rebooted and again got the desired static IP.

So assuming I won't miss network-manager, all is well.  I still don't
understand why the other box, which is still running network-manager and a
static IP, doesn't have this problem.  They're both running updated Wheezy.

Anyway, now I can get back to my real job.  Thanks again.