Re: disappeared hard disk space

On 16/08/11 17:36, Simon Chen wrote:
Hi, all.

I need your help to find out what happened to my hard disk. The problem
I've met is according to the used space in my /dev/sda8, there should be
6G left. But there's only 1G now. I can't move a file larger to 1G to
that partition. Tried, but failed. I've also run some test and repairs.
Unfortunately nothing's changed. Now I show you the results.

<snipped>

5G space's just vanished. It cannot be journal. At least before
yesterday sum of used and free sizes always equaled total size, refered
to "df". So far as I could recall, the mistake may be that I deleted a
directory in that partition when a extraction of files was running
unnoticed into the same directory. Anyhow it was deleted afterwards.

Are you sure?
Depends how you "stopped" that "unnoticed" extraction - that can leave temp files.
What was doing the extraction??

Do you use a desktop environment? If it has a trashbin/recycle bin - check that also.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Zichen Chen

Cheers

--
"I wish I could meet a Christian who would proselytise to me, but they keep running away from me.
I wanna 'talk' to you all."