/etc/inittab not executed upon starting X with startx command

I have uncommented the following line in the /etc/inittab file on
Debian Squeeze:

T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

Basically, I am trying to output a login console on Serial Port 1
also. This works if my system starts up normally i.e. via
xdm->fluxbox. However, I want to do a auto login into my fluxbox
(instead of user typing in username and password in xdm) and I still
want the basic login console on Serial Port 1. So I removed xdm
package (apt-get purge xdm) and added the following line to my
/etc/rc.local:

su - user -c startx

Now my system does the autologin into fluxbox but I no longer get my
login console on Serial Port 1. It seems that the /etc/inittab file is
not honored with this method (auto login). Any ideas how can I get my
login console on Serial Port 1 and at the same time auto log into
fluxbox?

Thanks.