The size of the (virtual) hdd is reported by d-i as 8.6GB and from that I want a single root (/)
partition of 8.0GB and a swap partition of 0.6GB.

I've created and tested 2 (imo) very different recipes, but each one produces the same result:
#1	primary		8.2GB	B	f	ext3	/
#5	logical		401.6MB		f	swap	swap

And here are the recipes I've created:
d-i partman-auto/expert-recipe string \
        boot-root :: \
        8000 8000 8000 ext4 \
        $primary{ } $bootable{ } method{ format } format{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext4 }
mountpoint{ / } \
        600 600 600 linux-swap \
        method{ swap } format{ }

d-i partman-auto/expert-recipe string \
	boot-root :: \
	7000 7000 7000 ext4 \
	$primary{ } $bootable{ } method{ format } format{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext4 }
mountpoint{ / } . \
 	7700 7750 7800 linux-swap \
	method{ swap } format{ } .

The last recipe has dots (.) at the end of a partition definition, but without them I still get the
same result.

What am I doing wrong and what should I do to get the result I want?
Why is it creating an ext3 filesystem, while I specified ext4?
I can get it to ext4, but only if I change the default filesystem with the following line:
d-i partman/default_filesystem string ext4

Any help greatly appreciated.
  Diederik

PS: please CC me in your reply since I'm not subscribed to this list