Re: Install on new iMac failing

On 8/08/11 12:18 PM, Mike Hore wrote:
Has anybody had any success installing any version of Debian on a new
iMac? As I've posted below, I suspect a kernel incompatibility with the
new AMD graphics chip.

If somebody could confirm this for me, I'll post a bug report to try to
get something done. Or if somebody can disprove it, fine, tell me how to
get up and running!

OK, no replies. So I'll assume this is a real problem, and file a bug report.

-- Mike.

TIA, Mike.

I wrote:
This didn't fix the problem. So basically I now have a new problem, that
I can run a full install of wheezy (kernel 2.6.39-2) and set up GRUB and
sync the MBR etc etc, but the new system won't boot. It gives some
scrolling text for a minute or so, then gives interesting flashing
lights with no further progress.

Any advice, anyone? It appears it might be a kernel issue with some
incompatibility with the Apple hardware.

Another relevant point -- I couldn't do a graphical install. I just got
a lot of square boxes instead of text on the screen. That made me think,
new graphics processor!
These new iMacs have an AMD Radeon HD 6750M GPU for graphics. Maybe the
kernel doesn't recognize these yet? Anybody know? Here's the full
hardware info for the graphics:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe