Re: IP geographical address info

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 13:20:14 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> Hi,
> Given an IP address, how can I know which geographical area it
> originated from? Would that be of to the country or state level?
> On the other hand, given a country or state/province, can I get a list
> of IP addresses that belong to it?

There are easier solutions, but I have PostgreSQL available, so I roll my
own. It goes to the level of Country/Region(State)/City. I get the data

wget http://mirrors.ipinfodb.com/ipinfodb/ip_database/current/

..but it looks as though that may no longer be updated, so I might have
to look around for another source.

>From your post (presented to me via Gmane)

walterh@saturn:~$ whereis.sh
Oslo, Oslo, Norway