Re: [left blank]

On 04/08/11 13:49, Kevin Williams wrote:

I switch back to windows after searching for it for about twenty minutes thanks to anyone who tried to help me and for the idiots who had something to say about me being a troll. Y'all do realize the only way to stop a troll is too ignore him right? Thanks again for everyone who tried too help me.I'll try this out again once I have done my research

Kevin

Might I suggest that you take the time to do two basic things:

(1) read up on GNU/Linux /before/ you install it ... get to know what the steps are, how to partition the drive(s), how to set up the network, etc. And yes, you will definitely need a root a/c whether or not you would like one. The graphic installation is usually the best option because usually (altho' not always, so be aware) the defaults are the right options you can select for your system. But, read up on some documentation first - if you are going to do comp sci then get used to the reading ... there'll be loads of it!! ;-)

(2) familiarise yourself with some mail list netiquette ... if you do a google on a "how to ask good questions", you will doubtless find some clues. But basically it boils down to: (2.1.) use meaningful subject lines - this makes it easier for other people to learn what you did that helped and also for others to answer your concerns; (2.2.) do not top post - in other words, start your email replies below the sig line of the post you are replying to. That way, readers can follow the thread logically from top to bottom, because people tend not to read from the bottom upwards
(2.3.) don't use HTML emails (disable it in your email client),
(2.4.) always give as much info about your system, what the problem is, when/ how it happens and what you have attempted already before asking the question. It has been my experience here that people are really friendly and helpful and that they generally are more prone to help if they recognise that you have already made an effort to help yourself.

Aside from this - don't give up, persevere and you will definitely succeed. At the risk of stating the blinding obvious, unlike Windows, GNU/Linux expects the user to do some work and depending on the distro, this expectation will range from very little to quite a lot. But, as you are intending to do comp sci, I guess that this should be agreeable to you?

GNU/Linux - and the *BSDs - are great systems to learn computing on. For the transition though I would strongly advise against using the new system as your production system ... in the early stages of your learning curve there is the real risk that you can trash your system completely, so only install on a partition or a computer that you can play around on until you can become more familiar and confident with the system you are using. This is also why you will need to set up a root a/c and a user a/c and only ever use the user a/c for working on the system unless the system requires you to be root. In which case, try safeguards such as using the shell command su or sudo to temporarily grant root powers to the user.

Otherwise, welcome to the world of GNU/Linux Debian and good luck.

AG