Re: 3.0 kernel fails to compile

On 8/2/2011 6:56 PM, Dave Witbrodt wrote:
> On 08/02/2011 04:50 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> On 8/1/2011 9:44 PM, Dave Witbrodt wrote:
>>
>>> I was a long-time user of make-kpkg, but since I learned how to use the
>>> in-kernel deb-pkg target I have been taking the Debian Kernel Team's
>>> advice and recommending building custom kernels that way.
>>
>> As was I.  One downside (depending on how you look at it) IIRC the
>> make..deb-pkg method doesn't pay attention to CONCURRENCY_LEVEL.  First
>> run took about twice as long as make-kpkg.  Specifying -j2 fixes it, but
>> the whole point of environment variables is so you don't have to.  A
>> dtep backwards here IMO.
> If you are really devoted to CONCURRENCY_LEVEL so much, why don't you

I don't recall expressing "devotion" above.  I merely pointed out that
this difference between the new and old methods was an unwelcome
inconvenience and a step backward in the automation department.

> leave it in your environment and write a script (or a bash alias) to
> automatically use it for your custom kernel builds?
>
>   make -j $CONCURRENCY_LEVEL deb-pkg
>
> You could even call the script or alias 'make-kpkg' if you want!  ;-)

Yet, simply adding "-j2" to my command line is so much easier than what
you propose.  I build kernels occasionally, not daily or weekly, but
every ~2-3 months.  It's not worth the trouble.  But maybe others who
need something like this will find the suggestion useful.

--
Stan