Re: KDE4.4 desktop customization for multiple users.

On 02/08/11 10:14, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 09:54 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 02/08/11 01:50, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 02:48 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote: <snip>
I think that's the hard way.  Using KIOSK is probably easier
and more consistent (e.g., KDE does not normally read all
the bash profile/rc scripts).  Alas, I'm flat out today
through Monday so I don't think I'll have time to answer the
previous question about how we do it until some time next
week - John

I'd appreciate a link to a working KIOSK for KDE 4.x - I
thought it had ceased with KDE 3.x...
<snip> That's interesting.  You may be correct

I wish that I were... (I'm not) ;-( That was an early morning/late
night post. The next day I checked and found it's available for
Sid:- http://packages.debian.org/sid/kiosktool

<snipped>

Has it abandoned KIOSK in favor of simply adhering the the XDG
standards? - John

I'm not sure of the reasons for KIOSK not being available for
Squeeze, it's probably documented somewhere obvious... but I
haven't looked, I'd originally just looked on the old KDE org
reference pages.

I "suspect" it may be reliant on elements of the policykit that
have not yet (and may never) be back-ported to Squeeze. There are
workaround which I've yet to fully document (I've posted some to
debian-kde) but they're, um, a little messy.

 <snip>

That's strange.  I wonder if we are talking about the same thing as I
can't imagine that KIOSK mode does not work in Squeeze as it is a
function of KDE and not Debian.  Are you referring to the KIOSK tool?

Yes.

There is an actual KIOSK tool for creating these profiles and perhaps
that is missing in Squeeze.  We found the tool too limited and
awkward which is why we opted to manually create the profile files.
KDE then reads and prioritizes those files as part of the core way it
works - John

Cheers

--
“You know all that money we spend on the military ever year - trillions
of dollars? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of