Re: KDE4.4 desktop customization for multiple users.

On 02/08/11 01:50, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 02:48 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
<snip>
I think that's the hard way.  Using KIOSK is probably easier and more
consistent (e.g., KDE does not normally read all the bash profile/rc
scripts).  Alas, I'm flat out today through Monday so I don't think I'll
have time to answer the previous question about how we do it until some
time next week - John

I'd appreciate a link to a working KIOSK for KDE 4.x - I thought it had
ceased with KDE 3.x...
<snip>
That's interesting.  You may be correct

I wish that I were... (I'm not) ;-(
That was an early morning/late night post. The next day I checked and found it's available for Sid:-
http://packages.debian.org/sid/kiosktool

I haven't tried, but it looks like it might not be easy to port to Squeeze. Possible, but tricky mixing libraries when you want to create profiles for unmixed systems.

as we have intentionally avoided
KDE4 by using Trinity as a KDE3 replacement
(http://www.trinitydesktop.org/).

Noted, and I greatly appreciate your work (I use Trinity for some of my Eeee 701SD builds).

In our case we are using VServers and bind mounting host directories
into the various guests.  One of those directories is a central
configuration repository for various KDE profiles.  The VServer bit is
irrelevant as it should translate to any multiuser environment.  We set
KDEDIR and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS in various environment files (in a
non-multi-tenant, non-vserver environment, the /etc/environment fie will
probably do).  We reference these in the PAM configuration.  We use
environment because we were completely befuddled about why the
environment variables were not being set in the bash configuration
scripts until we learned that KDE does not invoke them.  Thus our
reliance upon the environment files.

We create the common settings in the default profile and then any
specializations in other profiles - all by manually editing the
configuration files.  We then point to those profiles as needed.  As
always, any user customizations are stored in the ~/.kde tree.

Ah ha! Thank you for that - it should prove a very useful guide. :-)

All of this is moot if KDE4 does not support KIOSK.

See my correction above.

Has it abandoned
KIOSK in favor of simply adhering the the XDG standards? - John

I'm not sure of the reasons for KIOSK not being available for Squeeze, it's probably documented somewhere obvious... but I haven't looked, I'd originally just looked on the old KDE org reference pages. I "suspect" it may be reliant on elements of the policykit that have not yet (and may never) be back-ported to Squeeze. There are workaround which I've yet to fully document (I've posted some to debian-kde) but they're, um, a little messy.

Cheers

--
“You know all that money we spend on the military ever year - trillions of dollars? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.”
~ Bill Hicks