OT - boot floppy (was restoring MBR)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:19:31 -0400 (EDT), Tomas Kral wrote:

> Not sure if I am quite in the subject.
>
> But in the old Potato days, the installer always asked to stick in a
> floppy disk to write a new MBR on it. Leaving hard drive untouched.

The maintainer scripts for kernel image packages produced by make-kpkg
under earlier releases of Debian supported an option in
/etc/kernel-img.conf called "do_bootfloppy = yes" which would allow
a backup boot image to be written to a floppy disk.  Back in those
days, stock kernel image packages were produced by make-kpkg too;
so it wasn't just custom kernels that supported this.  I'm not sure
when this option was phased out.  I'm pretty sure that Etch was the
last release to support booting from floppy disks to *install* Debian,
so "do_bootfloppy = yes" may have been phased out at around that time.
But we're getting off topic.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :