Re: cryptdisks runlevel configuration for lvm2 + encrypted swap file

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, 00:59-0600, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Jimmy Wu wrote:
> So...  I am curious.  I often read that people are wanting to
> "configure their runlevels".  You are not the only one.  Other people
> talk about it too.  But I never know why.  And I never quite know
> exactly what someone means when they want to "configure runlevels".
> The only two runlevels I ever use are multiuser (Debian uses runlevel
> 2, the default for multiuser) and single user (run level 1).
>
> In the old days when networking was new and exciting there was
> runlevel 3 for enabling networking, NFS, and YP.  If you didn't want
> networking then you booted to runlevel 2.  If you did then you used
> runlevel 3.  Then graphical logins came into being and it was just
> natural to turn on graphical logins in runlevel 4.  If you didn't want
> a graphical login then you booted to runlevel 3 (or 2) instead.
>
> But here it is all of these years later and now I just really don't
> usually want to boot into a system without networking enabled.  And if
> I do want networking disabled then I can easily bring the networking
> offline without needing to change runlevels.  So having networking
> enabled in runlevel 2 multiuser mode is perfectly fine for me.  And if
> I don't want to log into a graphical display manager (gdm, kdm, xdm)
> then I switch to console with Control-Alt-F1 and log in on the text
> console.  So no need to avoid what was previously runlevel 4 for a
> graphical display manager.  (Of course in Debian all runlevels are the
> same by default.)
>
> And so I am left wondering what people are trying to accomplish when
> they "configure runlevels".  Is there really a need to avoid the
> graphical display manager by changing runlevels?  Is there really a
> need to boot without networking enabled?  Probably not.  So I assume
> there must be some other behavior that people are wanting and it is
> completely a mystery to me.

Well in my case if I couldn't be happier if I never had to touch the
runlevels at all.  But unfortunately I've encrypted my swap file and now
the system no longer brings it up at boot, so I just assumed it was a
init script order misconfiguration issue b/c running e.g.
/etc/init.d/cryptdisks start after boot does bring it up.

Actually now that I think about it, messing with runlevels probably
wasn't the right approach anyways - I've been and still am booting to
runlevel 2 by default all the time, so forcing cryptdisks to start in
3-5 would likely not do anything useful.  oops.  My problem is probably
boot order dependency which would be the same in any runlevel.

Jimmy