Re: Mounting two usb drives

On 29/07/11 04:59, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
> Dear list -
>
> How do I mount two usb drives at the same time.  Both usb drives have
> only one partition.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ethan
>
> Debian 6.0.1a  squeeze(sid)

You can mount as many USB drives as you have ports. I don't think
there's any upper limit on the number of mount profiles you can create
for drives either.
I'm assuming you want to be able to plug these drives in after you've
booted...

How you do it is best determined by your needs... you have a number of
choices. Some have already been suggested to you.

Do you want them automounted?
eg. do you want to just plug them in and have them available

Do you want them mounted to the same location each time?
eg. an USB drive with a directory of music and a directory of movies can
be labelled "MobMedia" and set so that whenever it is plugged in it will
be mounted at /media/ModMedia and sym links to it will just work
eg:-
$ pwd
/home/scott
$ ls -l | grep Movies
lrwxrwxrwx    1 scott scott        27 Jun  6 17:45 Movies ->
/media/MobMedia/Movies

What sort of permissions to you want them mounted with?
eg. in the above example you may wish to make the files readable - but
not writable by default.

Are you running a DE? If so which one?
Some Debian desktop environments will mount your drives for you using
with out needing to install additional/conflicting method to do so - if
those drives are formatted with NTFS in which case you may need to
install some more packages.

Cheers

“I never got along with my dad.
Kids used to come up to me and say, "My dad can beat up your dad."
I'd say, "Yeah? When?"”
~ Bill Hicks