Re: ssh: no route to host

Le 15179ième jour après Epoch,
Camaleón écrivait:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 23:22:57 +0200, François TOURDE wrote:
[...]
>> No route to host means: "I or some other router on the road can't find
>> the hardware associated with the IP given, or the way to reach it".
>
> (...)
>
> "No route to host" is a generic message that you can get on very
> different situations.

"No route to host" is the consequence of receiving an ICMP "host
unreachable" error. It means the ARP resolution failed for reaching the
next hop.

> For instance, when your ISP has smtp port of your DSL connection closed
> and you try to establish a connection on port 25 via telnet with a remote
> e-mail server, you get a "no route to host" message which basically means
> that you cannot establish a connection with the selected computer on
> choosen port but it does not invlove that computer you are trying to
> reach is "off" or disconnected.

When your ISP, like mine, is blocking the xx port, you should receive
a "connection timed out" message.

That's what I receive:

  francois@fermat:~$ telnet gmail.com 25
  Trying 209.85.147.17...
  telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

But perhaps you didn't receive the same error?