Re: vbox sid invalid mcookie

Liam O'Toole wrote ....

>> gdm should create .Xauthority for you,
>> without the need to manually do the xauth stuff.

 That's what I thought too
 after reading the xauth man page ....

   "Normally xauth is not used
    to create the authority file entry
    in the first place;  the program
    that starts the  X  Server
    ( often xdm or startx ) does that."

  However, testing in this particular context
  doesn't provide either a new .Xauthority
  file if one doesn't exist in my home dir
  and doesn't provide an entry in an emply
  .Xauthority file if I first create one
  via touch ....

  I just re-tested to make sure ....

    o delete ~/.Xautority
    o reboot or logout to restart X no difference
    o A new .Xauthority file is not created
    o No entries are added
      to an empty .Xauthority file

  However, with an empty .Xauthority file
  there is no invalid-magic-cookie message,
  but disply // X server connection problems ....

    $ xdpyinfo
    No protocol specified
    unable to open display ":0.0"

    $ opera
    No protocol specified
    cannot connect to X server :0.0
    Connection refused

    $ gimp
    No protocol specified
    Cannot open display

>> You are talking about starting applications f
>> from a terminal emulator such as gnome-terminal,
>> and not from the console, right ?

  Right.

  The tests I just listed above
  were done using gnome terminal ....

  If I now manually use xauth
  to add the magic cookies into
  an emplty .Xauthority file,
  then they float up as invalid
  whenever I try to start programs
  as above ....

  Perhaps if the X server display problem
  is first straightened out then the xauth
  magic cookie problem will fall into place ....

  Perhaps not ....

  Thanks a lot for the help and feedback ....

  I really appreciate it ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being